Senior or Staff Design Engineer
Pasadena, CA | Sacramento, CA
Northwest Hydraulic Consultants (NHC) is an international firm of consulting civil engineers and geoscientists providing specialist services for the development, management, and protection of water resources. Our California branch with offices in Sacramento and Pasadena has an opening for a design engineer with a minimum of 5 years of experience. The position title (Senior or Staff), responsibilities and salary will be dependent on individuals experience and qualifications. This position will work closely with Principals on a range of hydraulic, stream restoration, fish passage, and bank protection design projects.
Required Skills and Experience
- B.S. Degree in civil/water resources/environmental engineering or closely related field with 5+ years of experience.
- Licensed professional engineer in California, or the ability to obtain license via testing or reciprocity within one year of NHC employment.
- Understanding of the principles of hydraulic engineering for open channel systems.
- Experience on civil construction jobs including preparing construction plans, specifications and cost estimates (PS&E).
- Experience reviewing construction submittals and responding to requests for information (RFI).
- Experience in projects that include problem evaluation, alternatives analysis, planning, design, and construction.
- Self-motivated with competency solving engineering problems with a demonstrated ability to work both independently and collaboratively on project teams. The individual must be able to prioritize multiple tasks to meet tight deadlines.
Desired Skills and Experience
- B.S. or Ph.D. in civil/water resources/environmental engineering/fluvial geomorphology or closely related field.
- Experience with construction observation.
- Experience applying hydrologic and hydraulic computer models. List the specific models in the employment application (either in the cover letter or your resume).
- Experience completing civil construction design projects in riverine environments. Examples of such work includes fish passage design, habitat enhancement or bank protection design.
- Management of design drafting and/or proficiency in CAD.
- Project management experience that integrates multiple staff and subconsultants to meet project needs.
- Strong technical writing background with demonstrated abilities to prepare written reports and communicate effectively.
If you have a location preference, please specify in your response. Only applicants selected for an interview will be contacted.
NHC’s success has always depended on creative and productive employees. We celebrate and welcome a diverse community of employees and foster their professional development and well-being. NHC is an equal opportunity employer; all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, or veteran status.
Please send us your resume, cover letter, and references.Apply