Junior Coastal Engineer
Northwest Hydraulic Consultants (NHC) is an international firm of civil engineers and geoscientists providing professional services for the development, management, and protection of water resources. A career at NHC has you working within a specialized team of geoscientists, water resources engineers, hydrologists, surveyors, field technicians, and GIS specialists.
About the Role
As a Junior Coastal Engineer with NHC, you will have the opportunity to apply state-of-the-art coastal engineering methods to address problems related to natural coastal hazards (e.g., flooding, erosion, sedimentation) and human interactions (e.g., spills, coastal, structures, dredging and beneficial use, materials management) in the context of climate change and variability.
Based in our North Vancouver office, you will assist with data analysis, interpretation, and evaluation of marine and coastal processes (waves, currents, water levels, sediment transport) and forces interacting with engineered structures in support of engineering and environmental considerations for planning and design on large and small coastal projects. You will also assist with preparation of technical documents (reports, drawings, specifications) documenting engineering and environmental investigations, results, and analyses.
Required Education, Skills, And Experience:
- Master’s degree or higher in coastal, port, or ocean engineering.
- Registered (or eligible) as an Engineer-in-Training in BC.
- Knowledge of oceanographic and meteorological instrumentation.
- Familiarity with engineering calculations for coastal engineering design and/or skills in hydraulic analysis—including coastal engineering or coastal processes modelling software—is an asset.
- The ability to develop and apply numerical models for the simulation of waves, currents, sediment transport, and morphology change in open coast, inlet, and estuarine environments.
- Ability to undertake site inspections of shoreline structures.
- The ability to prioritize tasks and meet agreed upon timelines.
- Strong interpersonal, written, and verbal communication skills and demonstrated teamwork skills.
- A valid Class 5 drivers’ license (or eligible) is required and experience with surveying would be an asset.
Great Reasons to Join Us
NHC offers a competitive salary and benefits package, including annual merit-based bonuses. NHC’s success as an employee-owned independent firm depends on creative and productive employees. We celebrate and welcome a diverse community of employees and foster their professional development and well-being. Working with NHC is an opportunity to collaborate with people who are as passionate about water as you are, on technically challenging and satisfying real-world projects.
If you have the necessary qualifications and are interested in joining our team, please send your resume and a cover letter in confidence via the application link on this page by June 30, 2023.
Only applicants selected for an interview will be contacted. You must be legally eligible to work in Canada to be considered for this position.
Please send us your resume, cover letter, and references.Apply