NHC is currently seeking a full-time, permanent GIS Analyst to join our team of professionals in Edmonton, Alberta. The successful applicant will be expected to work closely with other GIS, engineering, and science professionals across the company on a variety of consulting projects. The GIS Analyst will apply their knowledge of geospatial software applications, geography, cartography, and geomatics to manage, manipulate, and process a variety of datasets. The GIS Analyst will produce high quality figures and maps for technical reports and provide their project teams with other quantitative spatial information needed to develop, for example, hydrologic and hydraulic models of natural systems. This position requires a detailed understanding of coordinate systems, knowledge of both horizontal and vertical datums, and the requirements for integrating various datasets together into a GIS application.
Typical assignments may include:
- Gathering, compiling, migrating, and converting data sets from a variety of internal and external sources
- Digitizing land surface features, such as river centrelines and banks
- Mapping watershed boundaries and extracting watershed characteristics
- Building digital elevation models by integrating topographic and bathymetric data
- Acquiring, rectifying, and mosaicking aerial imagery products
- Updating and maintaining numerous GIS datasets and templates
- Generating maps for technical reports and supporting field data collection
- Applying or developing customized map automation and geoprocessing routines
Depending on project workloads and requirements, the GIS Analyst may also have opportunities to be involved in field work with support from other technical and professional staff. Out of office work typically occurs during the normal work week and is not generally of an extended duration.
- Bachelor’s degree in Geography, Geomatics, or another Earth or Environmental Sciences field
- Degree or diploma from an accredited GIS program
- Proficiency with Esri ArcGIS and experience using the Spatial Analyst and 3D Analyst extensions
- Proficiency with Microsoft Office applications (especially Excel and Word)
- Strong organizational skills, with a demonstrated ability to work independently and as part of a team
- Ability to manage multiple tasks and deadlines
- Demonstrates a high degree of attention to detail and pride in work products
- Excellent written and verbal communication: able to define problems, communicate results, and document analysis methodologies
Desired Skills and Experience:
- 5+ years of work experience in a GIS-related position
- Experience with CAD (AutoCAD and Civil 3D)
- Experience with common programming languages, such as Python (arcpy)
- ArcGIS Model Builder
- Knowledge of database, file management, and document control systems
NHC’s success has always depended on creative and productive employees. We celebrate and welcome a diverse community of employees and foster their professional development and well being.
If you have the necessary qualifications and are interested in joining our team, please send your resume and a cover letter in confidence via the application link on this page.
Only applicants selected for an interview will be contacted. You must be legally eligible to work in Canada to be considered for this position.
Please send us your resume, cover letter, and references.Apply