Engineer or Geomorphologist
Our Sacramento and Pasadena, California offices have openings for engineers or geomorphologists with a minimum of 5 years of experience. This position will work closely with Principals and Senior Engineers on a range of hydrologic, hydraulic, geomorphic, restoration, and design projects. Typical assignments include hydrologic and hydraulic modeling, geomorphic analyses, engineering design, instream hydraulic measurements, and development of plans, specifications, and basis of design reports.
Required Skills and Experience:
- B.S. degree in civil/water resources/environmental engineering/fluvial geomorphology or closely related field with 5+ years of experience.
- Licensed professional engineer or geologist in California, or the ability to obtain license via testing or reciprocity within one year of NHC employment.
- Understanding of the principles of hydraulic engineering for open channel systems.
- Experience in projects that include problem evaluation, alternatives analysis, planning, design, and construction.
- Project management experience that integrates multiple staff and subconsultants to meet project needs.
- Strong technical writing background with demonstrated abilities to prepare written reports and communicate effectively.
- Self-motivated with the ability to solve engineering problems and work both independently and collaboratively on project teams. The individual must be able to prioritize multiple tasks to meet tight deadlines.
Desired Skills and Experience:
- M.S. or Ph.D. in civil/water resources/environmental engineering/fluvial geomorphology or closely related field.
- Ability to lead on-site project work including field surveys, instream hydraulic measurements, and construction observation.
- Experience preparing construction plans, specifications, and cost estimates (PS&E).
- Specialized experience or training in hydraulic design, civil design, hydraulic modeling, construction management, sediment transport, or fish passage.
- Experience applying hydrologic and hydraulic computer models. List the specific models in the employment application (either in the cover letter or your resume).
- Experience completing civil construction design projects in riverine environments. Examples of such work include fish passage design, habitat enhancement, or bank protection design.
- Experience reviewing construction submittals and responding to requests for information (RFI).
- Proficiency in GIS and CAD software programs.
If you have a location preference, please specify in your cover letter.
Please send us a copy of your resume and cover letter.Apply